Unboxing Console 1 – Softube
Watch more Softube videos
- Acoustic Feedback
- Bass Amp Room
- FET Compressor
- Fix Doubler of the Fix Flanger and Doubler
- Metal Amp Room
- Passive-Active Pack
- Spring Reverb
- Summit Audio EQF-100
- Summit Audio Grand Channel
- Summit Audio TLA-100A
- Tonelux Tilt and Tilt Live
- Trident A-Range
- Tube Delay
- Tube-Tech Classic Channel (Mk1, included in the Tube-Tech Complete Collection)
- Tube-Tech CL 1B (Mk1, included in the Tube-Tech Complete Collection and Tube-Tech Compressor Collection)
- Tube-Tech ME 1B (Mk1, included in the Tube-Tech Complete Collection and Tube-Tech Equalizer Collection)
- Tube-Tech PE 1C (Mk1, included in the Tube-Tech Complete Collection and Tube-Tech Equalizer Collection)
- Valley People Dyna-mite
- Vintage Amp Room
- White Amp (included in Acoustic Feedback)
These are the maximum number of instances per card. In most cases, the Pro Tools Mixer will take one chip and thereby lowering the number of actual instances. In other cases we might have made mistakes calculating these numbers, so if you find any errors please let us know!
Softube supports the following native plug-in formats:
VST/VST3, AU, and AAX Native.
Many plug-ins also run on AAX DSP hardware (HDX systems). For more information please see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?
TDM/Venue and RTAS is no longer supported, but if you do own a license, please see the Softube Legacy installers.
Also see the Softube System requirements.
Modular significantly raises the bar for realistic modeling of analog circuits. It represents an entirely new level of detail when it comes to modeling individual oscillators, filters, and other circuits.
Some competing products offer a low-quality mode to preserve CPU. We do not do that, as such a mode would neither live up to Softube’s quality standards nor to the quality standards of our partnering companies, such as Doepfer and Intellijel. Softube’s reputation for being heads and shoulders above the competition is what convinced our partners to work with us in the first place.
So Modular is as demanding on the CPU as it needs to be. With that said, Softube is constantly looking into optimizations and other means of preserving CPU power for all our plug-ins. But Softube can of course not promise any substantial future CPU savings at this point.
- Screen resolution 1280×800 or larger.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended.
- 1 powered USB 2.0 compatible port.
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading software and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs – and the Softube rigorous testing standards – Softube only officially test the Softube plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plug-ins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. Softube cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems though.
Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported (contact support for latest 32-bit compatible installers).
Mac OS X specific
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).
- 64-bit Windows 7 or newer.
- Intel Core Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280×800 or larger
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended
- 1 powered USB 2.0 compatible port
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading software and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement
In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs – and the Softube rigorous testing standards – Softube only officially test the Softube plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. Softube cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Please note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported (contact support for the latest 32-bit compatible installers).
Specific requirements for macOS:
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested)
Specific requirements for Windows:
- 64-bit Windows 7 or newer
- Intel Core Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
These DAWs support synchronized track selection, solo/mute, DAW send, pan and volume:
- Ableton Live 10.1.9 (VST3)
- Presonus Studio One 3.3 (VST3)
- Sonar (latest version) (VST3)
- Cockos REAPER 5.50 (VST3)
- Cubase 9.5.10 (VST3)
These DAWs support automatic transfer of the DAW’s track name and number to Console 1:
- Presonus Studio One 2.6 (VST3)
- Sonar (VST3)
- Cubase 8.0.5 (VST3)
- Nuendo 6.5 (VST3)
- Logic Pro 10.2 (AU)
- Ableton Live 8.4.1 (AU only, requires that all track names begin with a “# “, note the blank space)
- Digital Performer (AU only)
- Cockos REAPER 5.50 (VST3)
These DAWs support automatic transfer of the DAW’s track name (but not number) to Console 1:
- Pro Tools 11.2.1 (AAX)
Tthe following sample rates are supported: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz.
Console 1 and Console 1 Fader is not available for AAX DSP.
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
- Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported. 32-bit legacy installers are available here.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280×800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument’s page).
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in (s) and managing the license(s)
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement)
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work. However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs – and our own rigorous testing standards – we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
The most recent maintenance release of the DAW application is recommended.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?
No, the demo versions are exactly the same as the full versions. The only thing that sets them apart from a full version is that they expire after 20 days of use.
Console 1 is a product that integrates both hardware and software, so the absolute best way to test Console 1 is to try and find a local dealer that has a unit in stock.
The reason there is no demo license for the Console 1 software available at softube.com is that using the software only wouldn’t give the full user experience one would get from running the complete Console 1 system with the hardware/software combo.
If you’re really eager to find out how the Console 1 software (i.e. the included SSL SL4000E channel strip) sounds, and you’re unable to find a Console 1 dealer nearby, please contact the Softube support team. They can deposit a 20-day demo license to your account.
Please note that it is not possible to switch the channel strip when running the software demo license of Console 1. This means that the demo licenses for the SSL 9000K and British Class A channel strips require the Console 1 hardware to run (as opposed to the American Class A and Summit Audio Grand Channel, which are also available as regular plug-ins). Also, please note that won’t be able to access the Console 1 On-Screen Display in the demo version.
The first thing you need to do is to create a Softube account.
Then, head over to the Softube web store and click the product(s) you want to demo. At the top of each product page, there’s a ‘Try Now’ button. Clicking it will deposit a 20-day demo license straight to your account and make the plug-in ready for download via Softube Central.
For instance, if you have a full license for any of the plug-ins included in Softube Volume 4, you will be able to purchase the Volume 4 license at a discounted rate.
Upgrade paths that are available to you will be indicated in the web store by a purple ‘Upgrade available’ symbol.
Softube does do not offer any discounts for students/teachers at softube.com at this point. However, Gobbler offers a Volume 4 Student Bundle for all users with a verified educational email address: https://www.gobbler.com/softube-volume-4-edu-bundle/
It might also be a good idea to check with your institution to see if they have any specific deals on Softube plug-ins.
Go to the “Account settings” tab in the “My account” page. Make sure to select the correct country and enter your VAT number there.
The VAT number will be checked against the VIES database. Also, make sure that you have selected the correct country and that the number is written in the correct form.
For Swedish customers, remember that we are located in Sweden, and thus VAT is handled as any other purchase in a Swedish store. You deduct the VAT when you do your VAT report.
Softube does receive a large number of endorsement inquiries from producers, engineers, and artists around the world.
Since all our Softube customers are awesome artists of one kind or another, they sadly can’t offer special ‘artist’ prices simply on the basis of professional status, or even merit.
That said, however, they do selectively partner with highly prominent or strategically relevant professionals when the opportunity arises, and there’s a clear and substantial marketing objective and benefit for Softube.
Please contact Andreas Mood (andreas softube com), if you have something special Softube could connect with you on!
Orders are usually processed within 15 minutes after the purchase.
If you buy from a dealer, the delivery methods vary, but you will always get a 16-digit license code which you can use to register your product in the ‘Register License’ page at My account.
Accepted forms of payment in the Softube web store are VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or through PayPal. For some countries, a PayPal account may be required. The payment is secure and protected through PayPal.
Upgrades are activated via the iLok License Manager app (which can be downloaded for free from ilok.com).n Run the iLok License Manager app, log in to your iLok account, nright-click your newly purchased upgrade license, and select “Activate”.nnThis will prompt you to complete the activation by surrendering nthe license(s) required for the upgrade. Please remember that all nactivations for that license need to be available, which means either ndeactivated or used on the machine where you are doing the surrender.nnPlease note: if your iLok account has been created for you nautomatically when signing up for your Softube account, you will need ton set up a password for your iLok account in order to complete the nlicense activation described above.nnPlease go to ilok.com,n select “Sign in” followed by “Forgot your User ID or password?”. nFinally, click the “Reset your password” button, enter your iLok user IDn (which will be the same as your Softube user ID), and follow the ninstructions to set a password.
You can install and activate the Softube plug-ins to two locations (three for Console 1 and its add-on channels).nnMac: To install on a new/second machine it is easiest to use Softube Centraln on the new machine. This should allow for installation and activation. nPlease note that you don’t need to register your license code again, nactually you can’t as it has already been used.nnWindows: To install on a new/second machine, follow the process on the Welcome to our new web page.nnYou will need to have a free activation, or will need to use an iLok ndongle that you can move between machines to activate the new location.nnMac: To deactivate a license, use Softube Central.nnWindows: To deactivate a license, use iLok License Manager.
If you bought your product from a dealer, you will need to register your license in the Register License section of your My account page.n Please enter the 16-digit license code (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that you nhave received from your dealer and confirm by clicking the ‘Register nLicense’ button. This will deposit the license directly to your Softube naccount. nnIf you bought your product fromthe web store at softube.com,n no license registration is required. Your license will be directly ndeposited to your Softube account and its corresponding iLok account.
All installation is handled through the new Softube Central application, which can be downloaded from the ‘My products’ section of your My Account page. nnPlease note: the Softube Central app is still in beta. You nsometimes need to go to the Settings page and click Restart (if backend nstatus is disconnected). Sometimes, you might also need to log out, nclose the app, wait for 30 seconds, then re-start it, log in again, and nwait a little while, for it to work as expected. nn nnSeparate installersnnIf you go to the ‘My products’ section of your My Account page, you can click the ‘Mac’ or ‘Win’ buttons to reach a page with separate installers. nnPlease note: When you use the separate installers, any license activation must be done via the iLok License Manager app.
A side effect of Console 1 promotional campaigns is that you will not see Console 1 listed under “My Account” until the end of the promotion. You will still be able to install the Console 1 software using Softube Central.
Make sure you have activated your account, activate by following this link.nnYou should then get an email that allows you to activate the account.n Please check the spam folder if you don’t seem to receive the email. nWhen that has been done you should be able to log in to your account.